Your four legged friend is in for a real treat when you make these Sweet Potato & Honey Dog Treats!
They’re super simple and quick to make with only four ingredients and a few basic tools so nothing fancy required!
So let’s get started…
– 400g mashed sweet potato (do this in advance to allow to cool)
– 2 tbsp runny honey
– 450g wholemeal flour + extra for dusting
– 1 egg
– 1 beaten egg (egg wash)
– bowls for ingredients
– rubber spatula
– weighing scales
– wire rack
– rolling pin
– baking tray
– parchment paper
– pastry brush – cookie cutters (opt)
- Peel and boil the sweet potato until soft. Drain and the mash until smooth and allow to cool down completely.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees (140 degrees fan)/340F/Gas Mark 3
- Mix the sweet potato mash with the honey until combined and give the bowl a scrape.
- Add the egg and mix until combined and give the bowl a scrape.
- Add in a third of the flour and mix on low speed, scrape the bowl and add more flour. Continue to mix, scrape the bowl and add the flour until it is all combined and forms into a dough.
- Lightly dust your table with flour and remove the dough from the bowl. Knead the dough and shape into a ball and start to roll it out, turning it every now and then.
- Roll out the dough until it is roughly 7mm thick and start to cut out the shapes using a cookie cutter. If you don’t have any cookie cutters, you can simply pinch a bit of dough, roll into a ball and flatten with your thumb or with the back of a fork.
- Once all of the dough has been cut into shapes, lightly coat them with an egg wash.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove the cookies and place them on a wire rack to cool completely, preferably overnight before putting them into an airtight container or jar.
And there you go 🙂 I hope you’ve enjoyed my Sweet Potato & Honey Dog Treats!
I know for a fact that Ponyo loves these and is more than happy to do a trick to eat one.
If you’d like a downloadable copy of this recipe and to receive more dog related treat recipes, simply fill in your name and email address below and click on the pink button.